Technical Sportswear Designer
South Coast, UK – Cowes Isle of Wight
Who We Are
Spinlock is an innovative multi-award winning global company with the enviable reputation as the design leader in technical wearable equipment for the marine industry. We have strong history in the Marine Industry and will be celebrating our 50th anniversary in 2018. The brand is distributed into over 25 different countries including North America, Scandinavia, France and UK. We have over 50 staff situated across our Production site and Head Office, both in Cowes, and our US office in Rhode Island.
An opportunity has arisen for a wide ranging role as a lead product designer focusing on the progression of the Spinlock ‘Deckware’ range with a focus on innovation and structural soft goods design. We need a hands on designer, experienced in complex constructions and materials with a keen eye for product aesthetics. Practical skills to develop early prototype samples, and experience of working directly with external suppliers are also key.
You will be working as part of a small team under the direction of the Design Manager and Product Manager. The Design Team is based at our unique head office in Cowes, in an enviable position overlooking the Solent and will require regular overseas travel. The Island is renowned for its watersports, beaches, countryside and good transport links make easy access to the south coast.
What You Will Be Doing Day To Day
• Design, from concept to Production, and Development of new products and updates to existing range
• Analysing and reporting to the team on key looks, textile development, trends, processes and new technologies
• Gathering internal and external information to drive product and range development for the target customer
• Putting together Technical Documentation Packs for suppliers
• Working with the Design Team to evolve the range to ensure it continues to meet the needs of the customer
• Identifying new product and product improvements
• Establish a close relationship with key partners and with the Purchasing and Product team to ensure suppliers have the relevant information
• Regularly visit factories and international trade shows to help source new fabrics, trims and suppliers and ensure smooth production process
• Meet with Production for reviews, input and feedback.
• Proven experience in a similar role
• Experience Designing Sports/Active wear - Knowledge of fabrics/construction and suppliers
• Excellent communication skills
• Competency in sketching, and skilled in key design software including some 3D experience
• Practical sewing and pattern making skills to create early simple prototypes
• Structured “concept validation” and comprehensive product testing experience
• Ability to create clear and detailed garment tech documents and work closely with our overseas suppliers
• Confident in presenting
• Supplier and factory experience
• Ability to work under pressure and in a time critical environment to development deadlines
• Self-focused and motivated
• Team player
• Open and can do attitude
• Strong team player, who relates well to others
• Excellent organisation skills and data management
• Willing to take responsibility for decisions
• Ability to set priorities and achieve deadlines
• Ability to understand and deliver a brief in a concise manner
There are lots of reasons to work for Spinlock, you’ll meet some great people, progress on your career development and be rewarded for your contribution to our success. We are a small friendly team located in a great place to work. A certain type of person works for Spinlock, one who strives to be the best they can be and help drive innovation, quality and customer service, through team work.
A competitive salary with benefits is available depending on experience.
Interested? Please send your CV and portfolio details with covering letter (include salary expectations) to email@example.com.