Spinlock is committed to reducing our impact on the environment in all areas of our business. Our long-term commitment is to continue to raise awareness and promote sustainability among our team members, suppliers, customers, and communities.
In 2018 Spinlock was the first Marine Manufacturer and first Isle of Wight Company to sign up to the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment led by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, in collaboration with UN Environment. Our 2019/2020 New Plastics Economy Global Commitment report is published here
Recent examples of our commitment include a packaging review to ensure we choose packaging that can reduce our environmental impact.
After reviewing many packaging materials, all of which have an environmental impact, our product header cards are made from Polypropylene. Whilst a plastic, Polypropylene can be collected with your roadside recycling, which means the header will be recycled and reused easily, without confusion.
We have stopped using plastic bags for as much of our packaging as possible.
For large trade sales to single users we offer the products ‘free of packaging’ which massively reduces the use of packaging materials.
At our Head Office and Production facility, totalling 60 staff, new recycling points have been added for simple recycling of personal waste and consumables.
Here are some ways in which you can make a difference with your environmental impact by disposing of your Spinlock products safely:
Check your electrical goods for the crossed-out wheelie bin symbol to see if your item can be disposed of within-household waste. All electrical goods with the symbol from the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) Directive can be disposed of at a WEEE collection point for recycling. To find your nearest WEEE collection point visit www.recycle-more.co.uk.
Users can return their WEEE products to Spinlock for recycling. Batteries should never be put in the general household waste or recycling bins as part of the Waste Batteries & Accumulators Regulations.
Our WEEE Producer Registration number is WEE/BX4116YB
Our Batteries Producer Registration Number (BPRN) is: BPRN02812
Spinlock Limited is committed to being environmentally aware, actively support programs that reduce our company’s environmental impact and continually improve our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating procedures.
• Strive to continually improve its environmental performance and prevent pollution
• Promote good environmental practice both within the company and externally to its suppliers, customers and other stakeholders
• Exceed, or as a minimum comply with, its obligations with regard to environmental regulations and laws
• Minimise the environmental impact of its products by appropriate design, selection of materials and provision of information
• Maintain contact with external organisations concerned with environmental matters
• Encourage its staff to participate in environmental initiatives both within the workplace and outside
• Recognise we have a responsibility to the environment to meet or exceed legislative and regulatory requirements
• Ensure that this policy and all procedures relating to it are understood, implemented and maintained by all company employees
Spinlock Limited will endeavour to conduct its business to reflect the best environmental practice in order to control and reduce our direct impacts on the environment. We will:
• Reduce the amount of rubbish we send to a landfill;
• Increase the amount of rubbish we recycle; and
• Purchase from sustainable sources or recycled products when available
• Ask our suppliers what their policies are and request a copy of the policy when approaching new suppliers. All suppliers receive our Supplier Guide annually (electronically) and main and/or critical suppliers are audited by ourselves annually
• We will recycle all cardboard either through collection service or reused for packaging
• We will reuse envelopes and packaging where possible
• We will recycle all glass (staff kitchen waste) and magazines through collection service
• We will donate all unused Mobile Telephones to charity
• We will sell on any unused equipment
• We will recycle or reuse any scrap materials where possible